Going Strong...sorta

Friday, March 06, 2009

This week is almost over and I'm looking forward to Sunday. It's the day we remember the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, it's the day-special set aside for the gathering of the people of God, and...there was one other thing special about Sunday. What was it? Hmmm. Oh yeah: I get to EAT!!!! I'll be honest and relate that I've had a few bouts of hunger this week. I'm enduring one right now, actually. Hunger is something I'm not used to. If ever I go hungry I can simply go digging in our fridge or cupboards. An oven, toaster and microwave are all there at my disposal. We have plenty of dishes and cutlery. We have an ample supply of canned goods. We have taps that have running water (full of chemicals, my mom would say, but water nonetheless.)
I'm not used to going hungry. I can eat when I'm hungry. I eat when I'm not hungry. Dealing with hunger is an issue many people experience each day, however. I don't know all the details but suffice it to say that millions the world over experience what I'm experiencing ALL THE TIME. I hope this isn't disrespectful to those millions, but it hit me that in a very small way I'm identifying with those in need.
Today is the World Day of Prayer. I attended a service this afternoon. We prayed for the oppressed and the hungry. I hope they feel our prayers and our thoughts.
So I trudge onward in my Lenten commitment. I've given myself some leeway this week simply because this is the first time I've done this. I'll be better prepared next year if I take this on again. I'll know what to expect and I'll be ready for it.
If you're in a Lenten commitment, God bless and press on! It's Friday but Sunday's coming. We can celebrate the Resurrection. We can worship and fellowship in the Lord's house. And afterward we get to do that other thing!
Posted by Soul Fill @ 3:31 PM

0 Comments:


Post a Comment
<< Home