The Guns of the Manathome
Friday, January 30, 2009

Way back in 1993 I started going to a gym on Jasper Avenue in Edmonton, AB. This post is going to be about my workout routines--and the lack thereof--but as a side, this gym is the first place I ever used Interac to pay for something. I can still see me talking with the guy. "You can pay for it right here," he said to me. "But I don't have any money," I returned. "That's okay," he said as he handed me a contraption I'd never seen before, "you can use this. It takes the money right from your bank account." I had a look on my face like I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet. "You mean I can pay for something here even though my bank account is there?" "Yep," he said. "Can you see my account balance or anything like that?" "Nope." So I signed up for three months.
Back to my point. I started working out at the gym. I lifted and then did some cardio work on a bicycle. I consider myself in the "obese" section of the newspaper these days and, to tell the truth, I have been for a long time. Here it was 1993 and I had started yet another work out regimen. It was going nicely and I bragged to a friend of mine about my eventual loss of poundage: "You can kiss my fat good-bye." I paused in our conversation as immediately a weird image popped into my head and I was sad I made the comment.
That was 1993 and this is 2009. Over 15 years later and I'm still reading the same section of newspaper. Guess what? I started another workout routine. This one is at home with the help of on-line routines, some dumbbells, a yoga video and a downloaded playlist on Napster. Will I lose my poundage? Will I lower my BMI? Will I finally run that marathon? Plausibly the first two, never in a million years for the last one.
My trouble is that I ride the wave of momentum or conviction. I get excited about something and I do it but when the excitement has worn off I quit. Will I ever enjoy working out? Will it ever become simply a part of my life? Or will I constantly struggle to stay consistent? I wish I knew. I suppose I could just proudly proclaim, "I'm 225 lbs with a BMI of 28.5. So what?" I do enjoy being the BIG Jay Man. If I did get down to 200lbs I'd just be the Jay Man. Seems kind of a cop-out though.
At any rate, right now I enjoy working out. I have plans to run or even walk during the weeks. Every little bit helps, right? Instead of starting and stopping with a long rest in-between stops, I can start and stop back to back so it just looks like I'm consistent. Hey, the Bible says that even fools who remain silent look smart.






Rev. Jason Johnson resides in Calgary, AB and is the Lead Pastor of West Springs Free Methodist Church. He is
married to a wonderful woman named Esther, and is the proud father of two beautiful girls named Mattea and Allia. Jason likes coffee, playing
golf, and prefers Pepsi over Coke.