Home Sweet Home
Monday, January 26, 2009
We had our church service yesterday. It was a good service finished off with Communion to send us out. Communion, as we've been learning, is one of those "biblically endorsed means of grace." It's a very powerful experience that God has blessed us with. As we partake Communion we are changed because we are forced to make things right with God and with others. There are many things we can do to grow in our faith, but I believe that as we practice biblically endorsed means of grace, our spiritual lives are given a turbo boost. After the service we all hang out and visit. I was privileged to visit with one couple in particular. I'd seen them around before and we say "hi/bye" but that's usually about it. Yesterday, however, I had an extended visit. Amidst our conversation the husband asked me, among other things, how we're liking it in Calgary.People ask me frequently how it's going being in Calgary now. See, my family and I moved here last summer and fall so this city is still so new. I told this man yesterday what I tell everyone: we're still getting adjusted to it. There's lots to get used to! It's a big and busy city. It seems that whenever you go somewhere thousands of others have the same idea. The winter air is very dry. We're constantly struggling with stuffed noses and static cling. We haven't experienced as much snow and cold as this. Although we came from a large city, Calgary just seems different-large for some reason. On the upside, we love the proximity to the Rockies. We went out to Canmore last week and although we've been there before we can't help but take pictures all the time! We love the sun. Nothing gets you feeling excited like a lot of sun. And I must say that Calgarians are very friendly--except behind the wheel. When Es and the girls flew to Vancouver just before Christmas she had complete strangers offer help when she needed it. People often strike up conversation, usually about our two beautiful daughters. Most people are more than willing to say "hello" and smile when you pass by.
Though it's new and strange and wonderful to be here, I'm no stranger to Calgary. I was born in Foothills Hospital on August 15th, 1970. I grew up in the South East neighborhoods of Marlborough, Forest Lawn and Dover. My alma maters include Penbrooke Meadows Elementary, Patrick Airlie Elementary, Marlborough Elementary and Ian Bazalgette Junior High. I can still rattle off a list of names of the people who were my friends way back when. So though we're new to the city I'm not entirely new. I moved away but have now moved back. For me, there's a familiarity here that makes it easier to land.
Let's get back to our discussion at church. I meet so many people "new" to church. "Hey, you're new here. Welcome!" "Yeah, this is the third church we've checked out. We haven't been to church in a long time but something's drawing us back." This is a typical discussion I have. Somewhere along the way they "moved away" from church but now they're moving back. I'm trying to tell people that it's God who is drawing you back. Sure they're looking for something for their kids or we're within walking distance, but over all of that is God's hand in their lives. I'm promoting to our whole church body that it's God who draws us together, it is God who fills us and it is God who sends us out and empowers us to live each day for Him.
As we all learn and grow within our given surroundings--whether new or old--let's see the Hand of God in who we are and what we do. God bless you today!






Rev. Jason Johnson resides in Calgary, AB and is the Lead Pastor of West Springs Free Methodist Church. He is
married to a wonderful woman named Esther, and is the proud father of two beautiful girls named Mattea and Allia. Jason likes coffee, playing
golf, and prefers Pepsi over Coke.