The Gospel According to Mr. Miyagi

Monday, September 10, 2007


For the next several posts I'm going to use this memorable character's insights into life. I'm probably dating myself by using such a reference. Anyone remember this awesome show? What I remember most, I think, is the song during the start of the tournament: "you're the best, around, and nuthin's ever gonna bring you down." Cool. On to the post.


The gospel according to Mr. Myiagi demands full devotion. Remember this scene?
Miyagi: Now, ready?
Daniel: Yeah, I guess so.
Miyagi: Daniel-san, must talk. Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later get squish just like grape (Mr. Myiagi holds out hands and demonstrates a grape getting squished.) Here, karate, same thing. Either you karate do "yes" or karate do "no." You karate do "guess so," (demonstrates grape getting squished) just like grape. Understand?
Daniel: Yeah, I understand.
Miyagi: Now, ready?
Daniel: Yeah, I'm ready.

Or how about this quotable quote: "We make sacred pact. I promise teach karate to you, you promise learn. I say, you do, no questions."

(the above quotes taken from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087538/quotes)

Mr. Miyagi would rather have Daniel quit karate than assume a "guess so" stance. He would rather have Daniel quit karate than constant questions, complaints, or whining. Daniel butted his head against Mr. Miyagi in the movie, but in the end he followed his instructor. He listened, he obeyed, he persevered and eventually he won the tournament and the coveted cup, he got his dignity back, he won back his girlfriend, he even earned the respect of his enemies . Oh, he also got to kick Johnny in the face :)
So it is with the gospel in our lives. It requires total devotion and commitment to our Lord's call. Jesus asked the question: what good is it to gain the whole world but forfeit your soul? He then went on to state that following him will cost us everything. James and Paul described themselves as God's slaves, slaves to righteousness.
How is your commitment? When Jesus calls you, has your response been, "Guess so"? Then put it this way: Either you Christianity do "yes" or Christianity do "no." You Christianity do "guess so," SQUISH just like grape. Understand?
Posted by Soul Fill @ 7:53 PM

0 Comments:


Post a Comment
<< Home