First Day of LENT
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Today is the beginning of LENT and the beginning of my 40-day Fast. Today is called Ash Wednesday. Wikipedia tells us that Ash Wednesday gets its name from the practice of placing ashes on the foreheads of the faithful as a sign of repentance. Further to the story, "Ashes were used in ancient times, according to the Bible, to express mourning . Dusting oneself with ashes was the penitent's way of expressing sorrow for sins and faults."
As I begin this journey it helps to understand the significance of this day and the words technically associated with it: repentance, repent, mourn, sorrow. In our culture these words are usually avoided, ignored, or feared or at best endured. Our mindset is that because of unfortunate happenstance and tragic circumstance we go through these, but we don't want to and we'd prefer not to. Ash Wednesday is about intentionally bringing sorrow and repentance into your life. Now I must confess that I didn't put as much thought into Ash Wednesday as I have into the remainder of LENT. I'm thinking about fasting not repenting. But today I will pause, spend some time at the altar, and get right with God. I'll reflect on my past and the sins I've committed. I will present before the LORD my sorrow.
From this day onward for the next forty it's my desire to fast from food. In a way, I guess I am sorrowful. Especially when Susie brought some cake into my office and I had to decline it.
I'll be posting my thoughts and experiences here and, as already stated, I'd love to have your input. What are your experiences with LENT? How are you doing with your fast? Did you encounter some sorrow today? God bless you and me as we journey forward together.






Rev. Jason Johnson resides in Calgary, AB and is the Lead Pastor of West Springs Free Methodist Church. He is
married to a wonderful woman named Esther, and is the proud father of two beautiful girls named Mattea and Allia. Jason likes coffee, playing
golf, and prefers Pepsi over Coke.