Future mapping and the joy of raising two girls

Monday, February 02, 2009


Mattea has her cup of water and she's pouring the contents into the tupperware container beside her. We dog-sat for our friends this weekend and Mattea used her watercan to transfer the water from the dog's water dish to his food dish. She definitely has some curious habits. She goes to our cupboard and stacks and re-stacks the contents. I know she's been in there because the soup cans are stacked on top of the jars of jam. I wonder if she'll be an engineer or a heavy-duty mechanic. I'm not sure. I observed her at church one Sunday. She was with her friend, Sammie, and they were at the front of the sanctuary after the service. They both had mics. Sammie was pretending to sing and Mattea was talking into it. She did that after our last Christmas Eve service. Maybe she'll be a professional presenter or even a preacher. I'm looking after Allia right now. She's so different from Mattea in some key ways. Compared to Mattea, who can get pretty anxious, Allia is easy going and relaxed (I'm sure she gets that from me.) She's also very observant. She always has been (I say "always" but keep in mind she's only five months old!) Maybe she'll be a diplomat or a counselor. She loves to laugh so maybe she'll be a comedian or an entertainer.
I can guess what some of you are thinking: all kids do those things, and the follow up, they'll outgrow them. Whatever they end up to be and wherever they end up living, it'll be fun to watch them grow. I think there're only a couple things I truly want for both my girls. The first and foremost is that they'd each find faith in Christ. I've seen whole families involved in the faith and in the church and I want the same for mine. I also desire for both Mattea and Allia to find their calling early in life. I've been a late-bloomer of sorts. There's a power and grace to that but I also can't help but feel I've wasted some opportunities.
Will they outgrow some of those idiosyncricies? I hope not.
Posted by Soul Fill @ 12:31 PM

0 Comments:


Post a Comment
<< Home