40 Day Fast
Monday, February 23, 2009

It came on a whim, really. One casual reference. My mom and Esther's parents and sister were down last week for our daughters dedications. What a wonderful time we had with all of them. One night my mom says to me as she passes me a cup, "Here, try this." I sipped the yellow-ish liquid and was immediately taken by surprise and caught off-guard. Here I thought it was some cool fruit juice blend. It wasn't! It was a mixture of lemon juice, water, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. It was the pepper that attacked my nose. After my sputtering had stopped, mom said to me, "I think I put too much cayenne into it." When she explained to the rest of the family what it was, someone said, "Arnold (Esther's older brother) used to drink that. He said you could live off it for a month" (they said something like that.) Then it hit me, "LENT is coming up. I wonder if I could try something like that?" Could I exist on this simple solution? I thought about it for a while and became convinced that I'd at least like to try. I ran the idea by Es and she was okay with it. Me not eating for 6 weeks will bring some changes to household and I want to make sure Es was on board. Someone also said to Es, "Prepare to have a grumpy husband." So I guess meal changes won't be the only change!
As I go into this I have a few things floating around in my head. I still need to do some research on how to pull this off. There are several health questions I have to answer. Physically what can I expect? Will I keep the fat and burn the muscle? Will I sleep longer? Less? Will I run out of gas everyday? What can I eat and when and how much? Since the Lenten fast is suspended on Sundays should I eat on those days? If so, what?
I ran this idea by my best friend and his wife called out, "It's not a recommended way to lose weight you know!" I'm not doing it for that reason--although I must confess that potentially losing a pound a day is appealing! I'm doing it as a Lent exercise. For the past few years I gave up something for this period. Usually it's sugar, one year I tried to quit TV but couldn't. This year I'm taking it up a few notches. I do desire to draw closer to the LORD at this time. I'm in a new church with a new role and I need God to make me powerful for that role. I also want to pray for our church and the community around us. God said to his people in 2 Chronicles 7:14-15 , "Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and heal their land. I will listen to every prayer made in this place."
That's my desire for myself, my family and my church: that we would humble ourselves, seek God, turn from our wicked (selfish, prideful, idolatrous, distracted) ways, and receive a word from the LORD. A word that will change our lives forever.
My first fully-extended period of fasting starts in a couple days. I'm excited, scared, pumped and apprehensive at the same time. I've had some folks challenge me on this exercise and I've had at least one person say to me, "You can do it." Incidentally this is the same person who led me to faith in Jesus almost 22 years ago.
I'm going to write as many posts as I can. I want to share this journey with as many as possible. Any insights, comments, suggestions you can throw out would be helpful. God bless you today and thanks for sharing this season with my family and me.
Posted by
Soul Fill @
9:03 AM
2 Comments:
-
Hey Jason, I know about the fast.
You ant to pick up the booklet "The Master Cleanser" at a health food store to guide you how to get on and off that cleanse! Don't just start it and jump back off, you can do more harm than good!
We have used the fast/cleanse many a times and can tell you a wonderful story of how Harry was "cleansed/healed" of an arthritis attack from a adverse reaction to a vaccine. Yes, you will feel awful the first 3-5 days into the fast and yes, Esther will have to have some patience with you, but it is all worth it!!!!! Love...Hennie
-
I see I can't type anymore in my previous post.....but then....it was early for my doing...
Anyways, the booklet I'm referring to (The Master Cleanser) is written by Stan Burrough and you might actually find synopsis of it on-line. He will explain in detail why and how you should do the fast and the exact amounts of ingredients involved. It will help you "sticking" to the fast and prevent a lot of discomfort starting and finishing it. Believe me, there is a trick to it, especially if you fast for more than 3 days. It's an excellent fast/cleanser and I recommend it to anyone, whether it is for health reasons or faith wise.
Call me at Petra's house if you have any questions about it. I don't want to post her number here, but I'm sure Es has it.
Love you, boy and all the best :) :) :).....Hennie