How church work is done

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I'm always amazed at the innovation and creativity of others. When we started our junior high program (J.A.M.) a couple years ago, I gave our small group leaders their study for each week. See, at J.A.M. we do some interaction games, do some singing, and then we break into two groups: boys and girls. Each group has its own leader. In the beginning, I used the SERENDIPITY New Testament to do up the studies. These is an excellent resource and I highly recommend it. The studies were great and, without knowing it, I was operating according to a traditional paradigm: the paid professional pastor hands out lessons to the teachers. This is a great methodology but, according to scripture, not the best way to do things. That's me doing the work for someone else. This will see results/fruit, but will be limited. After awhile, the study leaders said they wanted to do their own lessons. So I let them. What they came up with was 100x better than what I came up with (sorry SERENDIPITY!) They took the studies to a completely new level.
This story captures the essence of the fourth principle: church work is done by gifted Saints. In other words, someone else is empowered to do their work for themselves. God has gifted not just the paid professionals working in a church, he has gifted all believers! The church is built best, not because gifted leaders have given out their agendas and have asked people to sign on. This will build churches (numbers, depths, buildings, programs) but that development will be limited. The church is built best when gifted leaders equip gifted workers to do their own work and operate according to their gifts.
One person wrote, "It starts with discovering who people are first, before we ask them to serve. We find out who they are, what needs they have, and what gifts, passions, and experience they possess" (http://old.mbconf.ca/old/ideabank/0006/adult-2.html)
So the question we ask ourselves isn't, "Can I get people onto my agenda?" The question is, "Can I take my hands off the work and allow others to make decisions and be responsible?"
According to the traditional paradigm, "church work" is done when professionals help Christian church-folk get with "the program." But biblical "church work" is when gifted leaders equip gifted Saints to do their own work.
Here are some suggestions for Practical Application:

That's it for today. Add a comment if you wish. I'd love some input.

PS--the picture here is a sweet pic of my beautiful wife and I at the South Thompson Inn and Guest Ranch

Posted by Soul Fill @ 3:00 PM

1 Comments:

  • Good point Jay! Nice pic too! ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, @ 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment
<< Home