The journey continues

Monday, January 09, 2006

Wow! It's been almost a couple weeks since I posted my last article. Things have been busy and I've just not been able to make an update. So here are a bunch of points. Let's continue the journey.

6. Individual involvement based on relationships and spiritual gifts
Every church needs people involved--that's what it means when Paul refers to the church as a "body." Every person is valuable and beneficial to the overall health and direction of the church. To help guide this involvement, I propose that involvement carry at least these two principles. First, that a person's invovlement be based on relationships. This is basic "team ministry" kind of stuff. I used to act like a lone ranger, but not anymore. There's more power when 2 or 3 are gathered together. An idea has greater ease of getting off the ground if a team or group is in place to carry it out. Second, that invovlement be based on gifting. Again, Paul makes this quite clear that God has gifted his children for ministry. The most effecient service in the local church is service based on spiritual gifts.

7. Before a program/ministry begins, it must have evidence of God's Call, Scripture and extended period of Prayer
When I was young, my friends and I would make bold claims to each other. I can jump over this fence. I can run faster than you. I can lift this big rock. The ritual was then for us to call that person out with two words: PROVE IT. We wanted a display, not just a claim.
In much the same way, if someone comes to me and says they're led to start a new minsitry, those two words come to mind: PROVE IT. Show me evidence that God really is calling you to that. Show me some relevant Scripture. Before you start, take your team and go away for some extended periods of prayer.

8. The members are given the freedom to say Good-bye
It happened to me a lot when I was pastoring The Edge church in Maple Ridge. People would come to our church, check it out for a while, then disappear. Not just the casual, part-time visitor neither. People who had committed themselves, signed up and done training: a lot of them said "good-bye" to The Edge never to return. It's happened for several reasons: nothing for our children, we found a church closer or one we like better. I've even had people say to me, "If you would change your focus/direction/approach, THEN we'd come." We didn't change our approach, focus or direction and, consequently, they left. I've also had, unfortunately, people in the church continually complain AND gather listeners to hear them complain.
Now, I understand about Christian love and Christian commitment. I understand that we are to be loyal to the church and the church needs longevity. I also know, however, that we are also given the freedom to say "good-bye." I honestly believes there even comes a time when certain people could and should be asked to leave. This is done through wisdom and Christian love.
Posted by Soul Fill @ 8:30 AM

0 Comments:


Post a Comment
<< Home