Musical Choices

Wednesday, December 21, 2005


When Blogger created my blog it asked for some important stuff: name, date of birth, place where I live, etc. It also asked about my interestes. My main hobby is golf and, in all honesty, laying prone in front of the TV in the evenings. It also asked about music choices. What's your favorite music? For the longest time I was primarily into songs not bands so I had a hard time even coming up with three to put down. Some of you out there have a list a mile long of your favorite bands. Me? Not so much. I do like the guy in the above picture, Bebo Norman (he kinda looks like my good friend, Darryl Dozlaw!) I did manage to put down some of the tried and true staples of my musical diet: one of the top being the Dave Matthews Band. I also like Collective Soul, Everclear, Third Day, and some solo artists like Travis Cottrell and Robin Mark.
Along the lines of multi-media, I remember a small group I was a part of a few years ago. I was using pro-wrestling to make a point about sin. My point was this: part of sin is deception. We are deceived, we buy into something that is fake--while thinking it's real. My point in the study was that, just like how I get into wrestling or how we cry at Old Yeller, we've bought into the story. It's not true, but it makes us react nonetheless. Sin is like that: we buy into it, we are duped, we are deceived. One person said of Satan, he promises the best but delivers the worst.
Aaaaaaaaaaaanyway, after making this grand point ("grand" in my mind) a lady challenged me on my TV diet--why do you watch wrestling? We got into the whole "garbage-in, garbage-out" conversation. What you put into your mind will have an effect (is it "effect" or "affect"?) on how you live. Then she started talking about secular music. She made this point: it's not that listening to secular music is bad, it's just better to listen to Christian music. I had to digest that for a bit. I liked her approach: she didn't condemn me nor the music I listened to. Her comments have stayed with me 'lo these past few years. And I believe she's right. I still listen to the DMB every-so-often, and I have a mix of rock tunes--featuring Matchbox 20. But these days I don't listen to much secular music. Is there something wrong with it? No, I don't believe so. I just believe listening to Christian, godly music is a better choice.
Posted by Soul Fill @ 8:27 AM

1 Comments:

  • Hi Jason, It's good to find you here in the blogosphere and to see that you married that beautiful woman I met so briefly. I enjoyed your thoughts today, been thinking a lot of the same stuff myself, although wrestling has never been my thing. ps You know Daryl Doslaw? Hard to imagine him all grown up!

    By Blogger Sue, @ 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment
<< Home