personal ecclesiology
Thursday, December 22, 2005

A few years back I started a habit I wish I kept up consistently. I went away for a few days to be with God in a deep and meaningful way through solitude, prayer, fasting and study. My desire was to do this on a quarterly basis but alas, only once a year (and sometimes not even that) was all I've made happen. I did manage to get away once this year though! It was for two days back in October. I had a very revealing time with the Lord. See, I've been questioning the way I do church. I've been hungering for something more; something else, in my church experience. At the retreat the Lord gave me 17 points to focus on while I do church. Why 17? I'm not sure. During my time away I read, prayed, meditated, brain-stormed, and sifted through all of my thoughts. Even as I came back from my retreat new thoughts and combinations came to mind. After letting the dust settle, I had 17 points of what I call my personal ecclesiology. Over the next few days I will share these points. I do this because I believe I need to keep growing and to do that I need the Body of Christ to help me. Am I wrong in these points? Do I need to clarify what I mean? Am I missing something? Am I on track and have I helped you? Please add a comment and let me know. This can be a dialogue.
So without further ado, here's my list.
1. The church body works at God's eternal purpose of restoration. As I read through the Bible I see that God's main purpose with humans is to see them in a righteous relationship with Himself. The covenants given in the Old Testament and the atoning death of Christ on the cross as revealed in the New Testament is God's provision for restoration. Due to the Fall, humanity's relationship with God was lost. That's bad news. But there's Good News: we can have a restored relationship with God the Father! As a member in the Body of Christ, I must work with others at restoring people to God. This sounds like evangelism and it is, but it's also much more than that. People need to be restored to God through Jesus, but people also need to be restored one to another. God's eternal purpose of restoration permeates all human relationships: spouses to each other, parents to their children, siblings to each other, neighbors one to another, and relationships within the church family. The church works at helping these relationships find restoration. But there's more individuals need restoration to physical, emotional, financial, social and mental health. But there's even more! The church body works at restoring people to their environment. The possibilities and ministries that flow out of even this one point are endless: marriage counseling, preaching, small groups, church planting, evangelism, discipleship, ecological training and so much more. These ministries keep before them God's eternal purpose of restoration.
That's the first of 17 points. You'll all have to wait until tomorrow to read the next one. Comments, questions, concerns, suggestions, addtions, addendums, revisions, clarifications? Add a comment.
Posted by Soul Fill @
8:42 AM
Post a Comment
4 Comments:
-
Jason, I really, really like the way this blog is unfolding. Eager to find out the other 16 points!
-
restoration has become a mantra... it truly is the heart of God to and for man... but i do like the word re-creation
thanks bro -
How selfish we would be if after God's restoration of us to himself we decided to hoard it and never share it with others. It is easier for me to seek restoration of the lost than it is to pursue restoration with my brothers and sisters in Christ. Even the most mature (and I use that term hesitantly) among us must continue to seek restoration with others. It is the light of Christ among us.
Good posts Jason, looking forward to reading the next 16. Merry Christmas. -
good stuff jason - keep it coming







Rev. Jason Johnson resides in Calgary, AB and is the Lead Pastor of West Springs Free Methodist Church. He is
married to a wonderful woman named Esther, and is the proud father of two beautiful girls named Mattea and Allia. Jason likes coffee, playing
golf, and prefers Pepsi over Coke.