Continuing the journey

Thursday, December 29, 2005

First off, let me say a Merry Christmas to all! I trust your time was uplifting as you celebrated the birth of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ with family and friends. I know mine was!
Okay, back to the personal ecclesiology. Once again, I'm encouraged by the comments I've been receiving. Keep 'em coming.

4. Programs are grown from the "grass roots"
I have a man in our church here who has exemplified what I mean by "grass roots." We have a men's group in our church that has done a lot of stuff. They sponsor missionaries, support our local High School outreach, minister one to another, host breakfast outreaches and are available for manpower whenever the church calls on them. As powerful as the men's ministry is, it isn't reaching everyone. One man in our church saw that, so he started a new group reaching out to new people. This new group has seen some awesome things take place, not the least of which is the salvation of souls. This group was started from the "grass roots." One person saw a need and took it on themselves to see that need met. I believe this is the best way to start new ministries in the local church. I've seen so much power and enthusiasm coming from these types of groups.

5. Evaluation is based on fruit-bearing.
I like to golf. It's become my hobby. I originally started golfing only because my friends did and it was a way for me to spend time with them. In time, however, I got the golfing bug. I bought new golf clubs. I take lessons when I can. I work on my swing at the range and I get in a couple dozen rounds each season. My best score is an 84 but I regularly shoot in the 90s. There are several things I like about golfing: time spent with my wife, getting a good tee shot, chipping it close, long-putts, the occasional birdie (I've even had an eagle attempt on a par 4), the smell of the grass, time spent with friends, the view, and the mild exercise. There are several aspects about golf that are enjoyable but only one aspect of golf that tells me I'm improving: the score. I only know that I'm becoming a better golfer if my score is getting lower. There will always be those mentioned benefits to golf, but only one sure-fire evaluation: the score. It's my only measuring stick.
I believe God's Word gives us the measuring stick for ministry: fruit-bearing. Is this ministry bearing fruit? If not, "Why" and "How can we get it to bear fruit?"
I have not always used this measuring stick. I've used other ones: I like the people I'm with, we're "cutting edge," my supervisor approves, it's making me look good, we're drawing a crowd, we're meeting our budget, someone has filled the position, I'm doing what I read in a book. These are all good things for ministries to meet, but they are not the bottom line. Is the ministry bearing fruit? Are new people coming out, are non-Christians coming to the Lord, are new leaders being trained, is visible, spiritual change taking place in the lives of those involved? These questions help determine whether or not a ministry is bearing fruit.
Comments, questions, concerns, suggestions, addtions, addendums, revisions, clarifications? Add a comment.
Posted by Soul Fill @ 10:07 AM

1 Comments:

  • Hello! While I was searching for info on golf instruction sacramento I somehow landed here. I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for golf instruction sacramento. Thanks for the post.


Post a Comment
<< Home