my personal core values

I've been sharing on this blog lots of my personal beliefs and today's post is no different. At a pastor's retreat I developed six core values. I want to share them with you all but first, let me tell you a story.
My best friend, Cory, is an incredible athlete--always has been and likely always will be. Physically he beats me at most everything. We go golfing and I have a good round, but he has a better one. We lift weights and I lift heavy weights, but he lifts heavier. If we went running together I could run for a couple miles but he could run a lot further a lot faster. But there's one thing I can do that he can't and I experienced it a couple years ago. I was at his house and Cory called out to me to help him. Wha...??? Cory needs my help?? I went into the kitchen and there he was, sheepishly looking at me, and he asked if I could reach a plate that was high up in the cupboard. See, Cory's only about 5'9" tall and I'm about 6'2" tall. He couldn't reach high enough. I tried not to be too smug but I failed miserably.
My core values are a lot like the plate in the cupboard--they're values that I have to reach for. If I listed the core values that I actually valued, my list would be something like:
- I value being selfish
- I value being afraid of what others think of me
- I value being lazy
- I value being neglectful
That's not really an impressive list, is it? My core values make me stretch and reach. So here they are:
I value enthusiasm--with empathy, I want to impact people in such a way as to motivate them to fulfill God's purposes.
I value intimacy--drawing ever closer to God, Esther and others in an atmosphere of love, grace and vulnerability.
I value leadership--discovering God's plan and, with perseverance, synergy and courage, press on to the future.
I value thriving--seeing God's good things happen regardless of where I am and what's happening around me.
I value transformation--continual learning and improvement, fearing neither risk nor failure, as I grow toward the imitation of Christ.
I value integrity--with my identity firmly rooted in Christ, living in obedience to biblical principles and working hard at moral excellence.
Do I completely embody these values? I hope that at least sometimes and in some ways I do. But even as I type these out I am challenged: have I been vulernable? Have I been courageous? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But that's okay. I'm still stretching!






Rev. Jason Johnson resides in Calgary, AB and is the Lead Pastor of West Springs Free Methodist Church. He is
married to a wonderful woman named Esther, and is the proud father of two beautiful girls named Mattea and Allia. Jason likes coffee, playing
golf, and prefers Pepsi over Coke.