My LENT committment
Thursday, April 20, 2006

The season of LENT has come and gone. I remember the first time I encountered LENT. It was back in 1998 and I was living and going to school in Wilmore, KY, at Asbury Theological Seminary. My roommates--Jason, Tom and Sean--all asked me, "So, what are you giving up for LENT?" "LENT? What's that?" They taught me that it was a pre-Easter season where you traditionally give up something for those 40 days and 40 nights. "Huh! Sounds cool. I think I'll give up LENT for LENT. That's viable, isn't it?" Unfortunately, no! I didn't make a committment that LENT season but I began to take it seiously a couple years ago. In 2004 I gave up secular music and listened only to my Christian/worship CDs. Then my CD player broke and I only listened to talk radio on the CBC. I learned a lot about the Avian Flu epidemic that year! This year I gave up sugar for LENT. A tough thing to do when I love ice cream, French Vanilla flavoring in my coffee and just about all things sweet. But I gave up sugar and I am proud (in the LORD) to say that I stuck to my plan: even when my friends, Jesse, Brandon and Ryan, were eating pie in front of me at Men's Advance, even when I visited my mother-in-law who was confused as to what to feed me now, and even when I finished a large meal and absolutely HAD to have something sweet. I stuck to my guns! I ingested no sugar for those 6 weeks.
Did I also say that I committed to watching only 1 hour of TV per day? I did. Did I stick with that decision? I didn't. Did I also say that I committed to giving up excuses? I can explain it more if you'd like. Did I stick with that decision? I didn't. I find it easy to get bumped off track even after I've made a decision. Take TV for instance. I was great at avoiding the couch and TV combo each night until Esther and I visited my dad. See, they watch a lot of TV and what's a boy to do but watch along? I made a committment but I got bumped off track. I didn't stick to my decision. When I got back from visiting my dad I could have and should have re-committed myself, but I didn't.
It's easy to get bumped off track, not just during LENT but in life. I don't know if anyone out there can relate to me. I'm assuming some can. Do I have a solution to it? No. Do I have some steps to take to insure one never fails in a committment? No. For me it's just pick yourself up and try again. And again. And again. Forgive yourself. Know that you're still with God. Move on. I love what Paul the apostle said in Philippians 3:12-14, "I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward that day when I will finally be all that Christ Jesus saved me for and wants me to be. No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I syould be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven."






Rev. Jason Johnson resides in Calgary, AB and is the Lead Pastor of West Springs Free Methodist Church. He is
married to a wonderful woman named Esther, and is the proud father of two beautiful girls named Mattea and Allia. Jason likes coffee, playing
golf, and prefers Pepsi over Coke.