Here it is...the end of the journey

Tuesday, February 07, 2006



Before I get to my last point, let me say that I've really appreciated the comments, insights and questions raised. Thank you! I also notice that people from all over the world are checking out my blog. I see people from Asia, Israel, the Eastern American seaboard, the Eastern Canadian seaboard, California and of course, British Columbia. Let me send out a big "Hey" to you. Also, if you're from another country please drop me a comment just to tell me where you're from.
Okay, the end of the journey is only a few syllables away.

17. There are seasons in the life of the church and we plan and act accordingly
When I was in college and seminary I got into a nasty study habit: I crammed. I studied all the material the night before and spewed it out on my exam the next day. I worked furiously the day before and even stayed up most of the night finishing off a paper or book report. I got good marks but do you think I retained much? No. Cramming might get me good marks but the actual knowledge accumulation is very limited. I grew up in a farming community and "cramming" for a harvest just doesn't work. The farmer can't plant his seed, water it the night before and then reap a harvest the next day. There are certain seasons to the life of farming. There are seasons to education and there are literal seasons of the year. There are also seasons to the life of the church. It's important to, with the Spirit's wisdom, discern what season we're in and act accordingly.
Here's one scenario. A church hasn't seen many conversions. The first season for that church is to do bridge-building events, think outside the box a bit, try new things, change the Sunday service, talk to the unchurched, do special Sundays for the first-time visitor. This their season of preparation.
Here's another scenario. A church has lots of committees, lots of accountability, longevity and in general is in the beaurocratic phase. What they need is a season of chaos. Question everything. Try new things. Challenge long-standing "givens" and the existing culture of "the way we do things around here." Shake things up, rock the boat, risk and fail.
Churches go through all kinds of seasons: peace, chaos, sowing, reaping, evangelism and discipleship. Now here's the difference between the church and the actual seasons. A church can get stuck in a season, phase or pattern. There are prevailing beliefs and temperaments that can stall a church for months and even years. They miss the full-counsel of the Lord. They miss out on a total, holistic church experience. A change in season must be instigated. This of course calls for the Holy Spirit's leading, strong leadership, church unity and intentionality. But it can be done and all for God's glory!
Comments, questions, concerns, suggestions, addtions, addendums, revisions, clarifications? Add a comment.
Posted by Soul Fill @ 11:21 AM

0 Comments:


Post a Comment
<< Home