don't just survive, THRIVE

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

In the front of my DAYRUNNER is a section where I've listed basically everything about myself: my goals, my purpose statement, my core values and my personal vision statement. Stay tuned 'cuz I'll probably list and explain all of those! In this section I've also listed some significant "Life Verses" from the Bible. These are verses I read that have helped me and challenged me over the years. Here's what Jeremiah wrote:
Jeremiah 17:7-8, "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."
A lot of us are environmentalists: we rely heavily on our environment to make us happy or to allow us to succeed. How many times has a child (or even you yourself) said, "I can't do this. It's too hard!" The plea is to make things easier so the task can be accomplished--at least if you're like me that's the plea! Little thought is given to becoming stronger in order to complete the task. This verse challenges us to something great: don't just survive, thrive regardless of the environment. Blessed is the person who trusts in the LORD, because when things heat up, when things go south, when things don't look so good, when the bottom has fallen out, when it's a year of drought, they won't just survive, just keep their chin up, just barely get by, just barely keep their head above water, just exist, just grin and bear it. NO! Blessed is the person who trusts in the LORD because even in drought season--when all else is brown and drab--he or she will blossom, will bloom, will be frutiful, will be vibrant and alive!
I'm reminded of Jesus when he talked about fasting. He said that the Pharisees put on sackcloth and sprinkle dust on their heads. They mess up their hair and where a dour look on their face. They're going with out and they want EVERYONE to know it. "Not so with you," says Jesus. "Even though you're fasting, look your best." In other words: if you have to go with out, then go with out with flair, with style, with a smile. Don't just survive, thrive!
I'm also reminded of a Zig Ziglar (remember him?) video clip I saw back in the 80s (ahh, the 80s!) He was talking to a group of realtors and he inquired about a recession that hit earlier that decade. He asked, "How many of you lost money during the recession?" A lot of people put their hands up. "How many of you pretty much broke even?" A lot FEWER people put their hands up. "How many of you actually made money during the recession?" A bunch of people put their hands up! The rest of the world is going in a financial tail-spin yet these people actually made money. Interesting. I think they knew the secret that Jeremiah is giving to us: Don't just survive, thrive!
Posted by Soul Fill @ 3:41 PM

0 Comments:


Post a Comment
<< Home